This is a full-time, in-house position. We will not consider freelancers or recruiters. The application deadline is midnight, October 19, 2018.
Gard Communications is looking for a public relations and public affairs account manager with a strong sense of craft, and excellent management skills. Someone who enjoys challenges and is willing to take ownership. This position reports to the Director of Public Relations.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 5 years related experience
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills including through email, phone and in-person
- Experience collaborating with a team
- Experience developing and implementing PR plans
- Ability to set strategy for a client
- Strong writing skills including with press releases, PR plans, op-eds, bylined articles, pitches and talking points
- Strong media pitching and media response skills (proactive, reactive and defensive)
- Assumes role of spokesperson for clients, as required
- Manages and coordinates production of materials such as media kits, brochures and advertising
- Experience working in public affairs. Knowledge of local business, community and elected leaders, and understanding of how to build support for a client and manage an issue with dynamic stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the media landscape (locally, regionally, nationally)
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with community, business members and media important to clients
- Uses technology and online resources to generate opportunities for clients
- Manage and participate on PR & PA teams assigned to specific accounts. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in all aspects of the work from strategy to calendar listings to media calls.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience working with clients in similar industry sectors as Gard’s
- Experience with crisis communications
HOW WE SUPPORT YOU
- We are a helpful, responsive, collaborative lot, and we support each other to bring the best to each client.
- We’ll help you grow professionally by providing an environment in which you can continue to explore and learn. We also offer professional development support such as for conference attendance, and membership to professional associations.
- We’re an established firm with a track record of retaining employees for many years. We understand that a sustainable work environment is one that offers stability, and values and supports each individual with respect.
- We value initiative and self-motivation.
- We are committed to work-life balance. We stay focused on the work and manage our client projects with efficiency, so that overtime is very rarely required.
Gard offers a competitive salary and premium health and dental benefits for you and your family. Employees qualify for 401K, disability, and life insurance plans after 6 months.
ABOUT GARD COMMUNICATIONS
Established in 1979, Gard provides advertising, public relations, and public affairs services to clients primarily in the sectors of healthcare, transportation, education, and energy.
The work we do has depth, and often the power to change public thinking. We are centrally located downtown in a bike-friendly area right on the light rail. We are one block from the art museum and tree-filled parks, and Portland’s largest food cart pod is nearby.
The application deadline is midnight, October 19, 2018.
Email your PDF resume, cover letter and three writing samples you feel proud of to . Writing samples may include press releases, PR plans, op-eds, bylined articles, pitches, talking points or more. Include “PR & PA ACCOUNT MANAGER” in the subject line.