This is a full-time, in-house position. This position reports to the senior director of public relations and marketing.
We prefer someone who is based in Oregon, or wants to relocate to Oregon.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communications including through email, phone and in-person
- Someone who is proactive, willing to take initiative and not afraid to speak up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong writing skills and an organized thinker
- Project management skills
- Writing skills including with press releases, emails, proposals, pitches and talking points
- General knowledge of the media landscape (locally, regionally, nationally)
- Uses technology and online resources to generate opportunities for clients
- Fluent in Spanish
- PR/Advertising experience
- This person will work on PR and Advertising accounts, interfacing with clients, managing projects and supporting accounts. Gard will train the associate on any new and/or developing skills. The ideal candidate will be comfortable learning and applying new skills and working in a team environment.
- Responsibilities will include:
- Working in a collaborative team with colleagues;
- Administrative support/front desk backup;
- Research: including media research, background research on different relevant topics, organizations and industries;
- Reporting and clips: prepare PR reports and track clips and social media
- Writing including materials such as: communications plans, talking points, press releases, op-eds, pitches, emails to clients and more;
- Liaison to production team: On accounts with creative/advertising projects, this person would help project manage the work, and collaborate with the creative team on deadlines, expectations and more;
- Social media: Assist with developing content for social media, managing social channels for clients and overseeing paid social campaigns, including placement and reporting;
- Meetings with clients: This person will participate in client meetings and may be asked to lead meetings and/or report out. Meetings most typically occur over zoom, conference call and occasionally in person.
HOW WE SUPPORT YOU
- We are a helpful, responsive, collaborative lot, and we unfailingly support each other to bring the best to each client.
- We’ll help you grow professionally by providing an environment in which you can continue to explore and learn. We also offer professional development support such as for conference attendance, and membership to professional associations.
- We’re an established firm with a track record of retaining employees for many years. We understand that a sustainable work environment is one that offers stability, and values and supports each individual with respect.
- Our structure is egalitarian and we value initiative and self-motivation.
- We are committed to work-life balance. We stay focused on the work and manage our client projects with efficiency, so that overtime is very rarely required.
- WFH flexibility. During the pandemic, our team shifted to all WFH. Beginning in September, we may return to the office on a part-time basis, with flexibility being given to all team members. Specific arrangements can be discussed and planned on a case-by-case basis. Depending on the status of the pandemic, our plans to return to the office may change.
We hold ourselves to high ethical standards at Gard. Part of our ethical practice includes the recognition that traditional hiring practices and operations disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We are committed to making Gard a workplace that is both profitable and productive, and that advances the needs of both our clients and our employees.
Gard offers a competitive salary and premium health and dental benefits for you and your family. Employees qualify for 401K, disability, and life insurance plans after 6 months.
ABOUT GARD COMMUNICATIONS
Established in 1979, Gard is a creative, digital and public relations firm, specializing in corporate and public policy communications. We think strategically and creatively, and we execute with discipline and attention to detail. The firm has significant experience in crisis communications, issue management and social marketing, as well as communications related to regulatory, permitting and litigation matters. We work in traditional and digital environments, creating and managing content in paid, earned, owned and social media. Over the years, we’ve developed a set of principles that guide the firm. We call them Manzanita Notes. The first one remains the first in importance: concentrate on the work and the rest will follow.
We are centrally located downtown in a bike-friendly area right on the light rail. We are one block from the art museum and tree-filled parks.
Please email the following:
- A cover letter that makes the case for why you are the right fit, and why you want to join Gard
- Resume and/or link to website/LinkedIn
- Two writing samples
Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Associate/Project Manager Job Application. Applications and interviews will occur on a rolling basis. The application period closes September 12, 2021.