Gard Communications is growing and we are looking for a talented writer to add to our team. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker with a background in branding and advertising, and experience writing for short- and mid-length formats, such as print ads and collateral, TV and radio scripts, and digital display ads. The duration of experience is less important than the quality of experience. You should be able to develop concepts and take them to a finished state. Creativity that flows from strategy and disciplined work habits are key attributes.
Established in 1979, Gard provides advertising, public relations, and digital services to clients primarily in the government, healthcare, transportation, education and energy sectors. The work we do has depth, and often the power to change public thinking. The writer will work with and report to the Creative Director but will interact with all team members and with clients.
We encourage you to reach out if you feel at home with the following:
- Collaborating with account leads and creative team on communication strategy
- Crafting strategic messaging, digging into what makes a client unique and simplifying it to reach target audiences
- Developing creative concepts in a variety of mediums and taking them to completion
- Synthesizing internal feedback to produce creative that’s clear, engaging and effective
- Writing captivating headlines or punchy one-liners
- Serving as a guardian of the client’s brand and strategy standards
Nice to Have
- Five or more years related experience
- Experience working with clients in similar industry sectors as Gard’s (health care, energy, manufacturing, higher education, foundation, transportation and more)
- Extensive interpersonal and verbal communication skills, including via email, video calls, phone and in-person
How we Support You
- We’re an established firm with a track record of retaining employees for many years. We’re well known, well respected and most of our work is by referral.
- We are a helpful, responsive, collaborative lot, and we unfailingly support each other to bring the best to each client
- We’ll help you grow professionally by providing an environment in which you can continue to explore and learn. We also offer professional development support such as for conference attendance, and membership to professional associations
- Our structure is egalitarian and we value initiative and self-motivation
- We are committed to work/life balance. We all have lives, families, sports and hobbies outside of work. We know they’re important and encourage a healthy work/life balance.
- We practice a hybrid work model, combining working from home with office presence to foster collaboration
- You will be part of a team. Not only does the team provide support and learning opportunities, but also camaraderie, shared success and even a bit of fun.
We hold ourselves to high ethical standards at Gard. Part of our ethical practice includes the recognition that traditional hiring practices and operations disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We are committed to making Gard a workplace that is both profitable and productive, and that advances the needs of both our clients and our employees. We strongly encourage all applications.
Email your resume, cover letter and three work samples you are proud of to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “CREATIVE COPYWRITER APPLICATION” in the subject line.
The application deadline is August 5, 2022