This is a full-time, in-house position. We will not consider freelancers or recruiters.
Gard Communications is looking for a Public Affairs Associate to join our team of experienced and respected public affairs specialists. We are looking for someone with an interest in public affairs and excellent communications skills who thrives in a team environment.
This position reports to the Senior Public Affairs Account Manager and will be part of the Account Management team (we call it the A-Team). Our team is made up of junior and senior staff, all learning from and supporting each other with the goal of developing each team member’s skills and abilities while also helping our clients be successful. We’re a close-knit team that enjoys working together and collaborating.
This person will work on primarily public affairs-focused accounts with some overlap with creative, web and public relations, interfacing with clients, managing projects and supporting account managers. Gard will train the associate on any new or developing skills. The ideal candidate will be eager to learn and apply new skills, and work in a team environment.
- Assisting with the research and compilation of stakeholder lists for specific locations and topics, and updating as needed.
- Preparing weekly/bi-weekly internal newsletter on current political topics relevant to Gard and our clients.
- Drafting content for clients’ news releases, social media posts, newsletter content and more.
- Attending client meetings, writing notes, and following up on tasks assigned.
- Collaborating with account managers to prepare meeting agendas and other materials as needed.
- Working on a collaborative team with colleagues.
- Researching different topics, organizations and industries for media audits and background.
- Assisting with the writing of: communications plans, community engagement plans, talking points, press releases, op-eds, pitches, emails to clients, proposals and more.
- Managing creative and advertising projects and serving as a liaison to the production team. Collaborating with the creative team on deadlines, expectations and more.
- Helping develop content for social media, managing social channels for clients and overseeing paid social campaigns, including placement and reporting.
- Participating in client meetings, sometimes leading them or reporting out. Meetings usually occur over Zoom and conference calls, and occasionally they are in person.
- Using technology, online resources and news monitoring to generate opportunities for clients.
- Providing administrative support.
Skills and Experience
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills via email, online meetings, in-person meetings and phone.
- Public affairs interest
- Strong writing skills
- Excellent research skills
- Organization with attention to detail
- Project management and time management
- General knowledge of the Oregon political landscape (local, state and national)
- Creative problem-solving and critical thinking
- Ability to be proactive, take initiative and ask questions
- Can-do attitude and drive
- A bachelor’s degree.
Nice to Have
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- Experience in the Oregon Legislature or other public affairs work.
How We Support You
- We are a helpful, responsive, collaborative lot, and we unfailingly support each other to bring the best to each client.
- We’ll help you grow professionally by providing an environment in which you can continue to explore and learn. We also offer professional development support, such as for conference attendance and membership to professional associations.
- We’re an established firm with a track record of retaining employees for many years. We understand that a sustainable work environment is one that values, supports and respects each individual.
- We understand that a sustainable work environment is one that values, supports and respects each individual.
- Our structure is egalitarian, and we value initiative and self-motivation.
- We are committed to work-life balance. We stay focused on the work and manage our client projects with efficiency so that overtime is rarely required.
Compensation and Benefits
Gard offers a competitive salary and premium health and dental benefits for you and your family. Employees qualify for 401K, disability and life insurance plans after six months.
We hold ourselves to high ethical standards at Gard. Part of our ethical practice includes the recognition that traditional hiring practices and operations disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We are committed to making Gard a workplace that is both profitable and productive, and that advances the needs of clients and employees. We strongly encourage all applications.
To apply, click the button below to email us the following in a single PDF file:
- A brief cover letter that makes the case for why you are the right fit for this position and why you want to join Gard. If you have gaps in your resume or a non-traditional background, please explain how this would serve our clients.
- Resume and/or link to website/LinkedIn
- Two writing samples. We are open to thoughtful emails, written collateral, PR materials or other examples of your work. We are looking for content that demonstrates your thinking.