Gard Communications is looking for a Digital/Social Media Manager with a strong sense of craft to lead the planning and implementation of social marketing strategies in both organic and paid social channels. We hope to find someone who enjoys challenges, will take ownership of their work, is self-disciplined and values the people they work with as much as the work itself. We’re a close-knit team that enjoys working together and collaborating to tell our clients’ stories and engage their audiences.
This position reports to the Vice President and will work closely with the account management, creative and digital teams. Our company is made up of junior and senior staff, all learning from and supporting each other with the goal of developing each team member’s skills and abilities while helping our clients be successful.
- Develop, implement, monitor and optimize social media campaigns
- Create proactive posting plans to advance long-term brand goals
- Generate ideas for timely and evergreen content
- Oversee creative production of digital media assets
- Quickly craft social media posts in response to breaking news or other events
- Partner with account leads to draft budget proposals
- Partner with the media buyer to plan, place and measure paid media campaigns
- Participate in setting and tracking of marketing and communications KPIs
- Monitor and measure engagement and performance
- Develop client-facing performance reports and improvement recommendations
- Stay up to date with digital media best practices and educate internal team and clients on new opportunities
- Share your knowledge and experience with the team so that they stay up-to-date on social media best practices and can better assist their clients
- Provide guidance and support of Gard Communications owned social media networks
Required Skills and Experience
- Five or more years of related experience.
- Deep knowledge of the key social media platforms and understanding of their unique audiences/consumers, functionality, engagement patterns and community rules.
- Strong writing skills and an eye for detail.
- Understanding the role of digital channels in overall communications strategy and how to integrate it.
- Understanding the process of creation of the rich media assets, such as images, video and icons and communicating your vision to the production team.
- Extensive interpersonal and verbal communication skills, including via email, video calls, phone and in-person.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with clients in similar industry sectors as Gard’s (health care, energy, manufacturing, higher education, foundation, transportation and more).
- Experience working in public relations, public affairs, litigation communications and crisis management.
- Experience in an agency environment.
How we Support You
- We’re an established firm with a track record of retaining employees for many years. We’re well known, well respected and most of our work is by referral.
- We are a helpful, responsive, collaborative lot, and we unfailingly support each other to bring the best to each client.
- We’ll help you grow professionally by providing an environment in which you can continue to explore and learn. We also offer professional development support such as for conference attendance, and membership to professional associations.
- Our structure is egalitarian and we value initiative and self-motivation.
- We are committed to work/life balance. We all have lives, families, sports and hobbies outside of work. We know they’re important and encourage a healthy work/life balance.
- We practice a hybrid work model, combining working from home with office presence to foster collaboration.
- You will be part of a team. Not only does the team provide support and learning opportunities, but also camaraderie, shared success and even a bit of fun.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Premium health and dental benefits
- Employer-paid base life insurance, and short- and long-term disability
- Paid parking and/or commuter benefits
- 401K with matching contributions
About Gard Communications
Founded in 1979, Gard is a creative, digital and public relations firm, specializing in corporate and public policy communications. We think strategically and creatively, and we execute with discipline and attention to detail. The work we do has depth, and often the power to change public thinking. We are centrally located in downtown Portland, Oregon in a bike-friendly area right on the light rail just blocks from museums, parks, restaurants and bars.
We hold ourselves to high ethical standards at Gard. Part of our ethical practice includes the recognition that traditional hiring practices and operations disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and LGBTQ people. We are committed to making Gard a workplace that is both profitable and productive, and that advances the needs of both our clients and our employees. We strongly encourage all applications.
Email your resume, cover letter and three work samples you are proud of to email@example.com. Include “SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST APPLICATION” in the subject line.
The application deadline is August 5, 2022